Wednesday 14 May 2014

WIP Wednesday

What?! I'm posting WIP Wednesday on an actual Wednesday (not a Thursday like the last two times I tried to do WIP Wednesday)?! What is the world coming to??

Actually, the world has been set to right because I am back home after a couple of months working in another city during the week. It really cramped my sewing style, even if I did take my (backup backup) sewing machine up with me after the first few weeks. That's not a typo by the way, I now have three sewing machines. Oops.

So what did I do to celebrate my return to Wellington? Cut up fabric into little squares and then sewed them back together, obviously. Ever since Jolene of Blue Elephant Stitches posted her Pixelated Heart Quilt, I've wanted to make one myself. But I never really had a reason to make one. But then she made another one, and Amanda at A Crafty Fox made another, even bigger one and then my friend Lara made this one (and started making this one) and then my friend Anne made a heart quilt as well and then I HAD to make one RIGHT NOW.

So I did and this is it.

Pixelated Heart Quilt

Jolene's original pixelated heart quilt is still my favourite iteration of this pattern and I spent a bit of time looking at it to work out why. I think it's that all those ultra saturated Kaffe Fassett fabrics really glow against the very muted creamy peachy background. In more technical terms, there is a high degree of contrast between the heart fabrics and the background fabrics. So, I shamelessly copied Jolene's approach. I took leftover squares from the darkest, most saturated end of the spectrum of fabrics in my I See Fire quilt , and then used the softest, lightest creamy and peachy fabrics in my stash for the background. Seriously, I have a pretty good collection of low volume fabrics and these were whispering compared to most of them.

Pixelated Heart Quilt

And I love it. I'm giving it to the cats, obviously. Now to raid my stash of cat fabric for the backing...

I'm linking up with Lee at Freshly Pieced:

WIP Wednesday at Freshly Pieced


Follow on Bloglovin

P.S. If you're looking for my Sew Mama Sew Giveaway Day giveaway, it's here.

15 comments:

dutchcomfort said...

The heart jumps right out of the low volume background. So gorgeous Adrianne!

Wendy @ Wendysquiltsandmore said...

It's lovely - really effective with the strong contrast between red and cream. Bet you're pleased to be home to cold and wet Wellington!

Elmosmate said...

Yay that you are back in Welly, we missed you. Love the heart quilt and your reason for making it. I just finished explaining how I had to make a plus quilt because everyone else had made one and I had to join in.

Marly said...

Your heart contrasts beautifully with the background, and you kept it in the more traditional red/pink tones. I love the spectacles fabric in the background; nicely spaced it's good fun.

*Cornelia* said...

totally love it, I admire all those heart quilts on instagram already, and then I wish I had low volume scraps lol

cant wait to see how you quilt it

Anonymous said...

Glad to hear I'm not the only one with a stash of cat fabric...

Tanyia said...

oh well crap... I really should not have clicked all those links! Now I am kinda feeling like I need to make a heart quilt, too!

Stopping by from Lee's hop http://domesticdeficitdisorder.blogspot.com/2014/05/wip-wednesday-may-14th.html

Lara said...

I love it :) lucky cats!!! I like the colours and fabrics you used for the LV background ! They are great!! Can't wait to see it in person :)

Mrs Flying Blind... said...

Love it!
Say Hi to Lara - she moved house and went stealth! xxx

Beth said...

Beautiful.

Michelle said...

OH MY! I love it! I made one in blue when I needed a baby gift it was a boy and I had a lot of blue scraps anyway. All the ones you linked to are wonderful to!

Unknown said...

I have a pixelated heart cut and laid out but not yet sewn. It's mostly Moda's Surrounded by Love but I had to pull from my stash, too. It's going to be a table topper quilt for professor friends having their 25th anniversary soon!

Leonie said...

Love it! I've made a few pixelated heart blocks but not a quilt! love your version Adrienne - gorgeous :) PS, there's a linky on my blog every Thursday if you feel inclined to join ;)

Conni said...

love it, I made one, and am thinking about making a second

Rachel said...

Lovely!