Monday 16 December 2013

Skills Swap - what I sent

Several months ago I said I would be interested in a skills swap.  I was keen for a pair of hand knitted socks, but lacking the skills to actually knit them myself, I offered up a quilted item made by me in exchange for the socks.  The lovely Kelsey of Everyday Fray put her hand up and so we have swapped!  Now that my items have arrived with Kelsey, I'm very excited to share them with you.

Lil Fox sewing machine cover and pouch

The thing that Kelsey actually asked for was a sewing machine cover.  She left it to me to choose the design, but we did discuss cute animals, including foxes.  I'll share more details of these items in a later post, but the sewing machine cover is a modified version of this pattern, and the little fox is made using this pattern.  I also made Kelsey a matching pouch using my favourite open wide zipper pouch tutorial from noodlehead.

Kelsey's stocking

Since it's so close to Christmas, I thought it might be fun to include something Christmassy as well.  I made this stocking, and a matching one for Kelsey's husband, using my own pattern.  It was really fun and I think I will have to do a whole set for my family one of these days.

AMH All Day mini quilt

The final handmade item that I included is this mini quilt.  All the coloured petals are Anna Maria Horner fabrics - 100 different ones in total.  Yes, I had all of these (and more) in my stash already.  I went for a kind of rainbow effect on a crisp white low volume background.  I'm very happy with how this mini turned out, and I think I will have to make another one for myself.  Good thing I love that hand done blanket stitch appliqué so much!

Knitsch yarn

Kelsey and I also agreed to include some swag in our parcels.  This locally produced knitsch sock yarn is particularly lovely (it's actually what my mum is using to knit me another pair of socks) and with a name like "Mad Blood Stirreth", how could anyone resist?

Lace yarn

At the same time I was buying the sock yarn, this Artisan Lace yarn kit caught my eye.  It has two skeins of yarn, three different lace scarf patterns and the right size knitting needles as well.  I have no idea if Kelsey likes knitting lace, but the scarves looked so pretty knitted up in the shop.

There are more photos and details to come on my handmade items, but I have to say that doing a direct swap like this was a lot of fun.  I found it more satisfying than making something for a relatively anonymous partner and I would definitely do something like this again.  Although Kelsey and I sent our parcels on the same day, NZ Post seems to be taking its own sweet time with delivering Kelsey's parcel to me, but I am very excited to receive it and hope to share the contents with you shortly!

Linking up with:

Fresh Poppy Design  Sew Cute Tuesday  My Quilt Infatuation

and with Finish it up Friday at crazy mom quilts.

Follow on Bloglovin

27 comments:

Sarah @ sarahquilts.com said...

Love that mini!!!!

Kristy @ Quiet Play said...

Love that mini quilt - it's just gorgeous!

The sewing machine cover is perfect too. Sounds like a very fun swap!

Julie said...

Love that mini AMH quilt. Your foxes are cute too - and the blood coloured wool - gorgeous. Lucky Kelsy to get suck a fabulous package of goodies.

Kat said...

That sewing machine cover makes me wish for some awesome skills so I could trade with you, too!

Leanne said...

You sent beautiful things, I wonder what kind of socks she made for you.

DeborahGun said...

oh wow - your sewing machine cover and mini quilt are amazing :-)

Karyn said...

Love the fox! And that wool is beautiful.

Amanda said...

Love what you put together. Those foxes, that mini...amazing!! Hope yours arrives soon. She never sent me spoiler photos!

Kelsey said...

Best. Swap. Ever! Adrianne you are seriously so talented, I absolutely loved everything you sent! Thank you so much!!! I'm frustrated Canada Post has fell short, why isn't it there yet?!?! Fingers crossed it shows up super soon :)

Leonie said...

skill swaps are awesome! Oh man Kelsey must be blown away! the foxy cover and pouch.. awesome! the mini quilt?? amazing! and all that delicious yarn??? no words.. Cant wait to see what she has sent you!

Fran said...

Those foxes are adorable!

Samantha said...

Everything is soooooo gorgeous! That mini is unreal. You are one talented lady ;)

Erica said...

You are amazing! I particularly love that sewing machine cover, it's adorable!

Quilting in the Deep South said...

Wow, I love the little foxes on the sewing machine cover and pouch. The mini quilt is so gorgeous with all the colours. I hope your socks and other goodies arrive soon.

dutchcomfort said...

That mini quilt is zo lovely! Love those skeins of yarn, yum, yum!
A private swap is always so much fun! Looking forward to seeing the socks Kelsey knitted for you!

Maryse said...

Skill swap?!! What a good idea!

Jill said...

Love the magenta sock yarn - the name is great!

Little Island Quilting said...

I'm involved in my first private swap at the moment and am a little bit excited!

Эльвира Пустовала said...

So many interesting and all very beautiful. As a fox from a fairy tale, but very good

Mrs Flying Blind... said...

Sounds and looks like a brilliant swap - I love that petal mini sooooooooo much!

Sheryl said...

Love the mini quilt! The blanket stitch just kicks the applique up that extra notch. I have a feeling your swap partner must be quite happy today!

Rachel said...

Very cute little foxes. Nice work!

heart of charnwood said...

That is an amazing skills swap package, she is one lucky lady, I love every item, and what a great way to get a more personalised swap with someone than the ones with a random stranger! :o). I can't wait to see what you get in return, hope it arrives soon.

Vera said...

Awesome colors on your mini and quilted goodies are also fab!

nicole said...

Love that sewing machine cover! I've had that fox pattern forever and haven't made it yet, i may try a zip pouch with it for myself! And that AMH mini is gorgeous!! Kelsey is very lucky :)

Unknown said...

Great job on the machine cover and pouch. The mini is fabulous too! I am sure she will love the wool so gorgeous. What a great idea!!

Renee said...

Love the foxy set! I bet she will be delighted with it! The quilt is super cute!