Monday 28 October 2013

Garden for Birds Quilt - finished!

My garden for birds quilt is finally finished!  The baby shower was this weekend so it is gifted and safely in hands of the mother-to-be.

Garden for Birds Quilt 

The making of this quilt has been quite a process. I designed the quilt right after my friend found out she was having a baby girl.  I was really quite excited because all the other babies this year have been boys, and I was more than ready to make something girly.

Garden for Birds Quilt 

This is the design I came up with - I wanted to make something fresh and colourful and a little bit crazy.  I started the quilt at a retreat, and it was a great opportunity to get a decent start.  It was also helpful having the encouragement and assistance of the other attendees - my friend Helen even did the appliqué on the birds and the leaves.

Garden for Birds Quilt in progress 

As I progressed, the quilt diverged a bit more from the original design. I enjoy that part of the process - tweaking and changing things.

Garden for Birds quilt still in progress 

Now the quilt is finished I think it will be just right for my friend and her baby - it's light and bright and has a touch of nature about it.

Garden for Birds Quilt 

I'm rather pleased with the backing fabric I found - I wanted to use something with a white background to pick up on the white parts on the front, but I also wanted plenty of colour and pattern so that it's not totally impractical for a baby quilt.  It's an older Michael Miller print and so lovely with all the flower pots.

Garden for Birds Quilt

I'm linking this quilt up to the Blogger's Quilt Festival at Amy's Creative Side, in the baby quilt category.  Make sure you head over and check out all the other quilts that have been linked up - there's a wealth of inspiration there.

AmysCreativeSide

Quilt Stats
Pattern: my Garden for Birds Quilt
Finished Size: 36" by 42"
Fabric: various 
Backing: Michael Miller Flower Shop print
Binding: blue flower print from Spotlight
Pieced and quilted by: me, appliqué by my friend Helen.

Linking up with finish it up friday at crazy mom quilts.  I'm also linking up to Sew Cute Tuesday which I'm delighted to see is being continued over at my friend Alyce's blog, Blossom Heart Quilts.

Sew Cute Tuesday

This quilt is the first of my fourth quarter finishes. I'll be linking up with Leanne at she can quilt as part of the 2013 Finish Along in due course.

she can quilt

Follow on Bloglovin

46 comments:

Karen @ Pieces of Contentment said...

It's gorgeous Adrianne! I love the backing fabric too - I have some of the same print ready to back a WIP.

Alyce @ Blossom Heart Quilts said...

So pretty and whimsical!

Meia Ameruddin said...

Such a beautiful quilt! Totally loving it. :D

dutchcomfort said...

Love how you designed this quilt yourself and made it even more beautiful!!!

Anonymous said...

Love how it turned out! The birds are my favorite.

Little Island Quilting said...

Fab

cauchy09 said...

oh, this is gorgeous! everything about it is perfect: great colors, happy design. yay!

audrey said...

This is fantastic! I love it! :)

DeborahGun said...

love everything about this quilt :-)

Deb@asimplelifequilts said...

This is so charming... thanks for sharing your design process!

Rebecca said...

This is so great! So unique. Great job!

Charlotte said...

so much wonderful detail - it's really lovely!

Carla said...

Inspiring is an understatement. This is fabulous! I just love quilts with different size blocks all fit together. A wonderful quilt. Lucky baby girl

Kim @ TiesThatBindQuilting said...

This is gorgeous! I love how it all turned out!

maria said...

You must be very proud, it"s beautiful. I love how the you've done the Dresdens.

Adrienne said...

Such a lovely quilt! Beautiful design!

imquilternity said...

It's wonderful... what a lovely gift!

Mrs Flying Blind... said...

Love this - bravo xxx

Anne said...

This came out beautifully! :)

Julie said...

Beautiful - your friend must have been delighted.

Anonymous said...

Hi! I love your quilt! Fantastic design and so beautifully made! x Teje

Jessica said...

This is so unique and beautiful! Awesome work!

Tamie said...

This quilt is beautiful. Original design is definitely not one of my strong suits but it is definitely one of yours! What a lucky baby.

Anonymous said...

This quilt is so amazing. I love the unique pattern. I love the scrappy feel. I love the bright fabrics you chose. Love.

CitricSugar said...

This is so fun and sweet - just the right amount of whimsy!

Leonie said...

Wow - it's incredible! so unique! I'm sure they will treasure it for a long long time :)

Anonymous said...

This quilt just says joy to me! It's so much fun. Thanks for sharing.

Serena @ Sewgiving said...

I've been dying to see this one finished an - WOW - I'm not disappointed - it's lovely!

Leanne said...

This quilt is wonderful, I am so glad to see it all finished. I think that baby is a very lucky one to have such a nice quilt.

Rachel said...

Looks great! I love the block arrangement.

audrey said...

Love how creative this quilt is! Super sweet baby quilt.:)

Nat at Made in Home said...

It is amazing! A great baby shower quilt I love the birds and the flowers underneath, where do they come from?

Sewing Mom said...

Wow, that's gorgeous. I'm trying to make simple and quick baby quilts...then I see yours full of such detail and hard work. Great job.

Sheryl said...

This is a masterpiece. I'm glad you enjoyed the process of tweaking your design; that's one of my favourite parts too.

Dominique said...

Adrianne, this is such a stunning quilt! Bright, cheerful, whimsical, and unique. You must be thrilled with the result! (and your friend too).

Lara @ Luellabella said...

Wow - this is superb!

Clare said...

So beautiful and fun! Not my style at all and yet I love it!

Deb said...

Wow, Adrianne, this is gorgeous.

sherry said...

wow this is a lovely quilt

AmandaK@whatthebobbin said...

Love it. Love how unexpected it is. Nice work!

Kelsey said...

Oh wow this is an awesome finish! Great quilt Adrianne!

Zizophora said...

Your birds turned out great and I love the dresdens!

Anne said...

What a beautiful original baby quilt this is. Great work!

Janine @ Rainbow Hare said...

This is beautiful! I'd want to hang it on the wall :)

sarah elizabeth :: {no} hats said...

So very sweet and perfect and brilliant!

Karyn said...

I love those birds!