Monday, 22 April 2013

An improv cushion for Gran

Do you know what you get from paper piecing?  Scraps.  Lots and lots of scraps.  Last weekend I decided to crack open my full to bursting box of Noteworthy scraps and have a play around.  Once I started pulling scraps out, I knew I wanted to make something for my grandmother Heather (Gran to me).

This is basically improv piecing - I just started with a piece of fabric and kept adding bits, trimming it down to a regular shape as necessary, until I had a decent sized block.  You might be able to see that there are a couple of more deliberately pieced areas (the pink at the top and the bottom of the pillow), where I wanted to include some pink but all my scraps were too small to be able to add a single piece. This 16" square pillow is made up of four improv pieced blocks, stitched together and then trimmed down to square.

Improv cushion for Gran 

I wanted the quilting to contrast with the crazy and wonky piecing, so I quilted a reasonably dense cross-hatch grid (I marked at 1" intervals down each side of the quilt top and used a hera marker to mark each diagonal line before quilting).  The 50 weight cream cotton thread I used just melts into the fabrics, so that the texture is the main feature.

Improv cushion for Gran

Both the backing and the binding are from the same fabric collection - I was able to use a single fat quarter for the backing, with a simple envelope style pillow closure.  I think I might need to get more of this bird on a wire print - it makes a really great binding.

This pillow will be in the mail to Gran this week - she lives in Auckland, otherwise I would deliver it personally.  Hopefully she likes it!

Linking up with:

Plum and June Better Off Thread Fresh Poppy Design

and finish it up friday with crazy mom quilts.

33 comments:

  1. What a gorgeous cushion. I have a serious love for cushions!

    ReplyDelete
  2. How fun! I love your use of color and the diagonal design you used to quilt this. I've had my scraps out this week as well, but I have to say, this free-style of piecing them together is something I can't wait to try after seeing this!

    ReplyDelete
  3. A wonderful cushion - love the colors. I might have to get me some of that noteworthy fabric :-) I love working with scraps and you have done an amazing improv job.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I think the Noteworthy fabric is still around.

      Delete
  4. Great pillow! I love the improve piecing and using up scraps!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I;m sure she'll love it-it's very pretty!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wonderful pillow and love how you've quilted it. I've got 2 pillows lined up as gifts for later this month and I may just have to pinch your idea if you don't mind! Dropped by from Let's Get Acquainted :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Bardzo mi się podoba ta poducha!
    Pozdrawiam!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dziękujemy! Teraz, pracowałem się, jak korzystać z Google Translate, mogę odpowiedzieć na komentarze w języku polskim!

      Delete
  8. Great way to use up your scraps! The quilting sets it off so nicely too!

    ReplyDelete
  9. This pillow looks amazing and is such a great way to use up those scraps too!

    ReplyDelete
  10. The colours are so soft and the fabrics fun! I am sure your pillow will be loved!

    ReplyDelete
  11. The pillow looks fantastic.

    ReplyDelete
  12. This is lovely! Im sure she will love it. I can just about feel that texture!

    ReplyDelete
  13. This quilting is perfect with your wonky blocks - Love it!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Pretty cushion!! I am sure it will make her day to receive this!!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Such a lovely cushion! I love Noteworthy and am wishing that I'd added some to my stash...

    ReplyDelete
  16. It's lovely and I really like the fabric too! Visiting from Let's get acquainted! Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  17. That's beautiful! I love your patchwork and the binding gives wonderful finish!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I love the look of a bound cushion, plus it makes construction really easy!

      Delete
  18. I love this. That quilting is just perfect, I love crosshatching and it really looks great on this cushion!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Pretty cushion! Lovely colors and great quilting.

    ReplyDelete
  20. You have made me want to make a cushion. I love this one!

    ReplyDelete
  21. This is fantastic! I love the improv paired with the straight lines of the quilting!

    ReplyDelete
  22. What a fabulous gift! I ADORE those colours!
    Esther

    ReplyDelete
  23. Love it! I have Noteworthy...wonder if I'll have extra!

    ReplyDelete
  24. Oh my heck: Darling! And your crosshatching creates wonderful texture and a controlled design element on a crazy patched top. Brilliant choice.

    ReplyDelete
  25. I do like the Noteworthy fabrics too. I recently made a bag using some of that range. I have just started to experiment with improvisational quilting. It's fun 'making' fabric. but I am an absolute beginner to it. Only made one block so far but keen to make more.

    ReplyDelete
  26. Such a sweet pillow and I agree that the birds on a wire is a cute binding:)

    ReplyDelete
  27. What a beauty!!! I hope your Gran loves it! The quilting looks perfect over your beautiful piecing.

    Thanks for linking up to finish it up Friday!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting my blog! If you feel like it, please leave a comment. I really enjoy reading them and try to respond to each and every one. If you don't get a reply by email, you are probably a no-reply blogger.