Friday 15 February 2013

Lots of swaps

I just signed up for two swaps being run on flickr - they are both new for me but have been through at least one round already.

The first one is the Modernista Homemade swap.


This round focuses on the living room, and I asked for a pillow.  You might have been able to tell from my mosaic...

Mosaic for Modernista Homemade Round 3


Partners are being sent out tomorrow, and I am really looking forward to seeing who my partner is, what they want, and to start plotting!

The second swap I've signed up for recently is the Sew Sew Modern swap, also on flickr.

Sew Sew Modern 2

I've nominated a sewing machine cover, or a fabric basket or two as the large item I'd like, but I'm pretty open to ideas.  I'm still not 100% sure I'll get into this swap, so fingers crossed - the reason I joined was because I kept seeing amazing things from the last round on blogs I follow, so I'm really keen to participate.


1. sofia's sewingmachine cover, 2. Another fabric bowl, pattern by Nova, 3. Patchwork zippered pouch, 4. Field of Triangles #2, 5. Proverbial Sunshine, 6. go anywhere bag., 7. Patchwork Bucket, 8. Sewing machine cover in 'Hope Valley', 9. pixelated heart

I think both these swaps will push my design skills and my sewing skills, and I can't wait to get started!

As an aside, it took me AGES to realise just how much modern sewists use flickr, and how key it is to participating in swaps etc, and getting your work noticed.  It's not a site I had ever used before I started this blog, and its not somewhere I ever looked for quilt inspiration.  However, you can find so many beautiful things on there, many of which are not posted elsewhere.  I'm guessing most of my readers have already cottoned on to this, but thought I would share my experience just in case anyone else was wondering about flickr.

Are you participating in any swaps at the moment?

4 comments:

Susan said...

I've done my fair share of Flickr swaps, doing them before I started blogging. This year I'm concentrating more on sewing for me or doing private swaps, which is also a great option!

Ann @thequiltingcats said...

I agree about Flickr. I learned about if from a fellow blogger that talked me into joining the Fat Quarterly's Hexy MF QAL, in August. Pictures had to be posted in their Flickr page. its a great place to showcase your work whether you blog or don't blog.
The pillows are gorgeous! I've made a couple of postage stamp pillows... but that is all. Have fun in your new swaps!

Anonymous said...

I signed up for the Modernista Swap too and I cannot wait to get my partner !!

I've decided to sit round 2 of the SSM swap though.. Hope you can get in :)

Angela Bullard said...

How did you find the swaps you joined? I would love to participate but I'm not sure where to find them.